Sunday, March 29, 2009

So I went to my first Writer's Conference..

I had never been to a Writer's Conference. Every year The Greater Lehigh Valley Writer's Group holds "The Write Stuff" conference around the last weekend in March. They bring in authors, experts, agents, and editors to talk about a variety of topics, and let the local writing community interact with outside sources.

This year I attended, and I signed up to pitch one of my writing projects during a private, one on one session with an agent. Anybody who has ever tried to get a book or novel published knows that this involves a process that is best described as "discouraging." So I went in expecting to get what many of the other participants got hit with, which is a polite "NO, not interested." When I came out and told other hopefuls that the agent had requested my full manuscript, many damn near went into shock. I got some high fives, but I also got some very envious looks.

I've got several projects in my portfolio that are serviceable, but I spent all Sunday getting my work ready to mail to the agent Tomorrow. Yes, a hard copy was requested, not an email or file.
So we will see what happens, I'm not going to hold my breath on this, but I am proud of this particular work, and those who have critiqued it have all raved. Sigh. But that doesn't mean a thing, does it? The hard work could just be starting, and that would be a good thing.
I'm fortunate I have a very good editor pushing me. Some aren't that lucky.

2 comments:

Lisa Tomarelli said...

WHoo hoo! AWESOME...and I'm not surprised. You're right, you do have an excellent editor pushing you---with just the right buttons, in the just the right way. Don't forget to 'remember me when...'!

Jan from BetterSpines said...

Good for you! Be proud.