Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A FISH CALLED "BOB"

In the past week, I've written about our credit card/household shopper dogs. and a suspected Serial Killing Kitty, so I figured, hey, I should write about our Prehistoric monster looking fish, who Mrs C has named "Bob".

Why did she name him "Bob"? Good question.
Bob is the kind of fish (algae blennie) that eats all the slime that forms on the side of the tank, as well as all the stuff that exits from the other fish. To make it easy, Bob deals with all the crap, much like my brother in law Bob, who is a plumber.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

Among the other new additions to our Salt water tank are 20 snails, and a spidery looking crab that I named "Cranky." Cranky isn't a big fan of being seen, and hides a lot.

Bob, on the other hand, has moved right in and become the "Alpha" fish, displacing our very bossy Blue Damsel fish from her home in the rock cave, and taking it over for himself.

Bob replaces the Chocolate Chip Starfish named "Chip" who died and now resides in a ziplock bag in our freezer. He turned white, and buried himself immediately after the move. I think he knew his days were numbered.
Cranky replaced Bug/Lazarus/Floater, who died within a week after we adopted him. We also have Plellow, Dory, Nemo, and Paint. I have no idea what Plellow is, but Dory is the Blue Damsel, and Paint and Nemo are truly some kind of clowns.

We are 5 weeks in, and everybody seems to be thriving, even though Plellow had a close call when he inadvertently found his way into the filter. Thankfully he survived, and no one has told him that he is supposed to be the most aggressive of all the fish in there.
We have incredibly managed to get the salinity to the correct level, and the snails and Bob are keeping the tank pretty clean.

For the immediate future, there will be no more fish purchases. Mrs C wants a bigger tank. I want to see if the ones we have live another six months, then we will see.

4 comments:

Dear Maddy said...

A Crap eating Fish, and you named him Bob? I have a better name for the one you called Floater. You should have named him Bernie.

Anonymous said...

No, I named him Bob. I do not appreciate your comment regarding any other person.

Did you mother never tell you "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?"

Anonymous said...

I want to know if I can get something similar in my house. Something that cleans up all the slime that forms around the house. Right now, that is my job and I would be more than happy to hand it off to someone else.

Chris Casey said...

GBS, I believe I have made it clear I didn't want that here. Any further comments will be stricken.

Anne, I have three dogs that keep the floor pretty barren of crumbs. Wish I could help you with the slime!