Friday, March 20, 2009

The Lost Cruller

Yesterday, a local columnist who I think highly of had knee surgery. I felt for him. When I had my hip replaced, and when I had my gastric bypass, it was a great comfort to me that many people who knew me in passing stopped by to see how I was.
So I stopped by the gentleman's home this afternoon after work, and I came bearing comfort food: a half dozen crullers from Vallos bakery.

Those of us who live in the Lehigh Valley know how wonderful the products of Vallos bakery are. Their loaves of bread are made WITHOUT preservatives. Sure, the mold will show up in a week, but whose loaf last that long? Their pastries are without parallel. During lent they make their standard glazed and powdered sugar crullers, as well as chocolate glazed and Blueberry glazed crullers. Talk about LARD! Just put an IV of cholesterol in my arm, it wouldn't be as dangerous as eating one of those crullers, but it damn sure wouldn't taste as wonderful!
I stopped by Vallos on the way home from work near Montgomeryville, and picked up a half dozen for my ailing friend, who was grateful.

I also purchased 3 powdered sugar crullers for my wife, as well as one chocolate and three glazed crullers for me. I did purchase a fresh loaf of Vienna bread, that was still warm from the oven when they bagged it. Try driving home with that smell in your car!

So anyway, I went to the gym and worked out this evening, and when I came home, Mrs C broke the news: "You lost a cruller."
How do you lose a cruller, you might ask?
What happened was Mrs C decided to indulge in one of her powdered white sugar crullers, but somehow dropped one of my glazed crullers on the floor.
Now with three dogs in our house, what do you think happened when that cruller hit the floor?

I love my dogs. I just hope nobody goes into sugar shock.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's a cruller? Sounds good.

Anonymous said...

A Cruller is basically a donut that is 6 inches long and 2 inches thick. A Lrad stick, I guess! LOL!

Chris Casey said...

Anon, did you mean a LARD stick? that's probably pretty close to a description as any. On Fridays besides the regular Crullers they make Chocolate and Blueberry. Yeah, they are that good!

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome!