Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Blogging as a Utility for daily life

Last night I explained Blogging to a group of people. I did a page by page, step by step explanation of how blogs work, and how to best use them.

It was the first time I had ever done it for a group, I usually do it one on one, by request.

I'm definitely going to have to change how I do it for groups, because 6 different people have 6 different questions, and I'm going to have to change my format to do it better. Last night was just as educational for me, as I learned where my weaknesses were. I also now see what preparations I am going to have to undertake in order to do it better.

First, one hour is not enough. better make it at least two. Second, I will start at the blogger home page, and talk them through the creation of a blog, picking out a template, etc. I will start them in naming their site, then work through settings, then layout, then posting.

I will have them compose and put up a short post, and then trouble shoot from there.

There are so many people out there blogging who don't realize all the tools that Blogger has available for them. Many neophytes don't know how to create links, personalize the colors of the offered templates, or even how to change the default settings that allow their posts to be given individual addresses or emailed to another person.

It may seem second nature to many of us hard core veteran bloggers, but to so many newbies it isn't.
"The Daily Me" is coming to life, replacing the old information gathering model of news journalism. To be linked in, many are going to want their own blogs. We owe it to them to share the information. I'm going to try.

4 comments:

musingwoman said...

It never ceases to amaze me when I run across someone who says, "What's a blog?" :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you Chris! And, just like Musing said - "what's a website?" is one I get asked also. If I had someone like you to help me when I started, it would have saved me a ton of angst.

Chris Casey said...

Thanks gang, I've been doing this for almost 4 years, and I still learn new things all the time!

Volvo Driving Soccer Mom said...

I can just see you explaining blogs the same way you explained using a M-16 or M72A2. I doubt you would ever teach anybody how to hurt with blogs the way some do.