Friday, January 30, 2009

January is not my favorite Month

I won't say I hate January, that's too strong a word. But besides the awful weather, it carries many difficult memories for me.
Two in particular bubble to the surface every year, and they both happened in 1995.

First, I got to celebrate the New Year with my Mom in the Hospital from a stroke/diabetic coma. Then on January 29, the night before she was to come home, my Dad collapsed at home while watching the 'Niners crush the Chargers. He died around 2 AM the morning of the 30th.
That was 14 years ago today.

It was very difficult that morning to walk into her hospital room, see her fully dressed, sitting in her chair, ready to go home. Then I had to tell her the man she had been married to for 49 years had died downstairs in the ER only hours before.

So today is not my favorite date on the Calendar.

I could go on and on with a litany of bad memories that have their anniversaries in January, but there is no point. It's the past, and we are supposed to move on from it.

I welcome February with open arms.

By the way, Nemo is still alive, as are the rest of the fish. I have this hope that if they make it to February, they will survive. we will see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So now it's February (or at least it is here), and the worst is over. It's a bummer how things happen in groups at certain times of the year.

Chris Casey said...

Better Spines, Feb is always better! BTW, I checked out your blog, Cool!