Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Cell Phone in the Toilet

It's one of those occasions where I offer a piece of relevant advice to all my blog peeps out there. Today's lesson is this:

Never try to answer your cell phone while standing at a urinal

I will label this Casey's law # 6

I have been a bit harried at work this past week, and the damn thing never seemed to stop ringing at the most inopportune times. I was expecting an important message, and I know I should have let it go to the voice mail.
But as we all know, I can at times, be an idiot. The phone slipped from my grasp and splashed into a place from which i did not want it to go. So what did I do?

I went to the Janitor's closet and grabbed a pair of rubber gloves, and a bucket. I dug it out, dropped it in the bucket, and then put about a gallon of water in, and then a cup of bleach. I let it sit for an hour. You ever hear a phone ring when it is in water? It's weird, it reminded me of the tsunami I launched on Ripple tank town during a high school physics experiment more than 30 years ago. It had to do with sound waves dispersing across water. I couldn't emulate that noise with my lips no matter how hard I tried.

After about an hour, and about a dozen unanswered calls, I dumped out the bucket in the janitor's closet sink and ran water on the phone for a few minutes. Then I wiped the phone down with a terry cloth towel.
She's still working! The color faded a bit, but as long as she's working, who cares!
I've had it more than two years, I'm due for a new one in a month or so. Think I should tell them what happened? I'll bet Mrs C never uses it again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are an idiot! But I love you.

Chris Casey said...

But I'm your idiot!

Anonymous said...

My husband did that once also.If you take the cover off the battery and take the battery out there is probably a sticker that turned red once it got wet. Thats how the phone companies can tell if a phone got wet. I also ran over his phone!!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of phone calls I get from people (or people who answer my calls) and I hear the toilet flush at some point on the conversation.

Anonymous said...

I've washed my husbands phone a few times over the years. I am always amazed that they still work.