Sunday, February 1, 2009

My 11th Commandment: Don't let your kids play with Automatic rifles!

I received a few emails this week asking if I was okay. My "I'm writing as fast as I can" post freaked some people out, including Mrs C. So let me explain.

I've been writing this memoir, and last week I went on a tear, ripping out a hot draft. The thing was, that in writing out these pages, I had to revisit four of the worst days in my life, concerning the deaths of loved ones. I found it isn't easy to revisit one heartbreaking day or situation, let alone four almost simultaneously. It is emotionally, and physically draining to do, and I count myself lucky to have done it and made it through.

So how about some happy thoughts?!

I would like to take this opportunity to revisit a topic of discussion from a meeting this week and the question, "If you could add a commandment to the Ten God gave Moses, what would it be?"

Last night I'm zooming along on the Interwebby before beddy time, reading news from all over the world, when I found this Australian news gem: "4 Year old shoots Father while riding in car."
According to the story, on a 116 degree day, the Dad was driving the kid home after picking him up from preschool when the child picked up Daddy's hunting rifle from the floor of the car and shot dear old Dad in the back.

My first thought was the kid was upset with his Dad. "I said I want Ice Cream!"

I originally had to question the parenting skills of any person, male or female, that would put an unrestrained child in the back seat of the car with a loaded firearm on the floor.
But after thinking about it, it is Australia, where "Dingos eat your baby" on occasion, and maybe he's actually a good parent for teaching the kid to protect himself. How do we know the kid didn't see a dingo sneaking up on the car, and acted proactively? All that happened was he bumped his hand grabbing the rifle, and it accidentally discharged.
The authorities in New South Wales might see it differently than we do over here in the Tombstone, er, Lehigh Valley. Australian authorities might not file any charges, instead sentencing the 4 year old to a remedial firearm safety course, and revoking his hunting privileges until maybe he is six?

So That's my 11th Commandment. Don't let your kids play with automatic rifles!

1 comment:

mincognita said...

Dad gets shot for his own stupidity eh? Sounds like poetic justice to me. ;)

You've just been tagged. Stop by my place to learn more......