Friday, January 9, 2009

A Year ago today....

I went into Lehigh Valley Hospital for a gastric bypass.
I had to get up at 3:30 AM and be there by 5 AM. It is ironic that I woke up at 3:10 AM today and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got out of bed at 3:30 instead of 4 AM and here I am.

I weighed 334 that morning before the surgery. I had been on a low carb diet for a few weeks as instructed. I had been over 350 at Thanksgiving, and I had my fears about the procedure, but after weighing my options, I went through with it.

I'm glad I did. I had made it down to 226, my goal is 220, but when I weighed myself last night after my workout, the scale said 234.
Considering the stress levels at work lately, and my penchant for snacking on occasion during the holidays, I'm not surprised at the backsliding.

The good news is that it is not the end of the world. The surgeon wanted me down to around 210 by April 2009, when I see him for my next follow up. I can still do that.
The Holidays are over, and I'm over the temptation. I am recommitting myself to my diet and exercise program for the next 90 days. Mostly it is diet. I exercise regularly, but I've gotten away from eating as I should. I need to cut back the crackers in the soup, and knock out the carbs that have been creeping in. Exercise wise, I need to push myself at the gym again. The Elliptical is getting easy, it is time to turn it up a notch. I think I need to add a half hour of biking back to the regimen.

Oh gosh, I better get going, Work Calls.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Anon 10:52

That is a hateful and unnecessary thing to say. I never wish badly on others, but you should have to eat the poop that you wrote!

Chris Casey said...

The comment at 10:52 wishing my death likely came from the leader of the troll parade, part of his campaign to make sure I can't have unmoderated comments. I don't have the necessary legal means to prove where it came from at this moment, but I am saving the trail, and if it keeps up, I will ask the proper authorities to investigate. I have saved the comment to my file, and will continue to try and leave my comments unmoderated. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Damn, I'm 20 pounds heavier than you! Do you go to the 24/7 in Trexlertown? I need a workout buddy to get me motivated.

Chris Casey said...

Sorry anon, I go to the Human performance center on Cetronia road. It's not 24/7 but it's a hell of a lot nicer and cleaner than the other place.

Anonymous said...

I checked out the Human performance Center and it's first rate .... but not 24/7 (my schedule sucks) and a little bit pricier. Also, 24/7 is a lot closer to me.
Damn, I'm 20 pounds fatter than you.
Oh, and why does 10:50 pm assume everything's always about him?

Chris Casey said...

Anon, I understand that operating hours are difficult, so 24/7 works for you. I will gladly commisserate with you on weight loss and workouts. One thing that has helped me push forward is the interaction with others struggling as i still do.
As for the other, it is best to ignore him. I do. If you go around the Lehigh Valley and start checking blogs, you will find that comment moderation has been enabled.
It is not that we don't like comments, but that there are bloggers who try to make every blog about them and their issues.

Moderation allows me to keep the conversation on topic.
They are what we call trolls, and responding to them feeds them.
So I don't feed them, I delete their comments, and move on.

Good luck to you on your exercise program, and please feel free to share with me your trials.

I've been there, and am still there, and I know how difficult it can be.

Anonymous said...

From reading your comments, I would bet "TrollHare" was at it again, wasn't he?

Chris Casey said...

Anon, I can't say that it was who you cal "TrollHare" but that isn't to say it wasn't. It is interesting that in his claim of innocence he claimed he never read the comment, but somehow knew what it said?
And while the trackbacks between his protest of innocence and the original comment didn't match. That's easy for one person to do. all you have to do is find a public, unsecured wireless, and you can comment anonymously on blogs. It's unethical in some cases, but people do it. As long as they always use a screen name from their home IP, it would be difficult to prove, unless you can nail it down to the specific ID assigned to each device connected to the Internet, and that's NSA technology.