Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Is this Your Neighbor? Bet you are glad you don't have their Electric Bill


It is Random Tuesday Thoughts time, and I have had a whole bunch of things running around inside my head the last few days.
Have any of you been into one of the Home Improvement stores lately? I think Lowes and Home Depot are having a contest to see who can sell the most stuff people can put on their lawn for any reason.
I really believe the Electric companies are behind this craziness to sell every power sucking idea they can come up with to the gullible consumer.
I don't mind the Christmas spirit, but really, some of these people are going too far. If the International Space Station can see your house without using a zoom lens, I think you have gone over the edge.
I appreciate the well done, attractive display as much as anybody, but some of these look like the participants are trying to push the Nuclear Reactor down near Pottstown to the limit. I can see the steam cloud from that baby from my house, and even at more than 30 miles, I think it is bigger than normal this time of year.
My real beef here is that some people leave their decorations on all night. There's nothing like having your neighbors 10,000 kilowatt flashing reindeer beaming from his roof through the drapes of your bedroom window all night, is there? The place for that stuff is Disney world, not your local neighborhood.
I hate being all Grinch like, but show some restraint people. It is a good thing Christmas doesn't happen in the summer when everybody has the AC on, we would probably have rolling blackouts at night from the drain on the power grid.
I personally don't want to get a quadruple digit electric bill in January, so whatever decorations I put up I put on a timer. They go on at dusk at shut off around ten. I don't believe I have an inalienable right to bother my neighbors with any possible glow of lights into their house while they are trying to sleep at night. But that's just me, Chris Casey, Mr. Considerate.
So here's my hope for a Merry Christmas. I like the lights, but please show some taste. And if you can't outdo your neighbors, do this: Buy stock in the Electric Company. It might be the only bright spot you can really appreciate.

2 comments:

LVCI said...

Well it does appear it renders "The Lights In The Parkway' obsolete.

The only thing missing, if your going to have to foot the electric bill, is a hot dog cart out in front to help pay for it all.

Just seems to me when you buy a $1,200 software program. FM music broadcast transmitter. A 300 amp service line. 36,000 lights and a 12ft spool of electrical cord to light it up.

The only thing more spectacular then these, is the size of those checks going out in January to pay for them!

ironpigpen said...

No.

That is not my electric bill!

(thankfully)