Wednesday, December 16, 2009


I have had some bad weeks in my life. Last week was not the worst, but it was definitely not the best. So for tonight (Tuesday as I write this) I am going to focus on something I am happy about.

This year I finished a novel. Not 75%, n0t 90%, but 100%. I wrote it from start to finish over seven months. I based it on the outline I wrote seven years ago when my dog Fred died. This past Saturday Ethel joined him. In a way, I guess it symbolizes the cycle of life. I finished a book based on Fred, I have started one about Rags, the dog that preceded him, and now I wrote a brief history of Ethel to work from later.

I am happy that I had three such faithful furry friends around me, during my many good and bad times. I still have Lucy and Sally, and God willing, there will be more in the future.
But there is one distant memory I recalled, that in my all recent sorrow, managed to make me smile.

When I was growing up we had all kinds of animals around our home, not just cats and dogs, but rabbits, ducks, hamsters, and even a tortoise. And like all living things, eventually they would die, and my Dad would inter them in our personal family pet cemetery at the rear of our yard. In doing so, we would say an Our Father, a few words about our late pet, and then bow our heads. Dad would always close things up by telling the same old joke about an old Irishman and his dog. Dad would always change the name of the dog to the same as that of the pet we were burying, I think it was his way of reaching out to comfort whoever was mourning.



The joke went like this:

There was an old Irishman who had a faithful dog that went with him wherever he went. One day the dog died, and the Irishman wanted to give him a proper burial, so he went down the road to the nearest church, which happened to be Protestant. He walked up to the pastor and asked if he would have a service in memory of the dog, and let him bury the dog on the church's hallowed ground. "Lord, no," replied the pastor sternly. "We can't go burying a dog in the cemetery with people."
Disappointed, the old Irishman thanked him for his time, and went down the road to the next church, which happened to be Baptist.
Once again, the pastor was adamant there as well, that burying a dog in a cemetery with people just wasn't done.
So the Irishman went back on the road and continued along until he came to the local Catholic church.
From the Priest he got more of the same. "We just don't bury dogs in our cemetery," the priest shook his head sadly. "It isn't proper."

The old Irishman took a step back, and with a tear in his eye, bowed his head. "I would have thought there would be one church willing to bury my dog for $500 dollars."

The Priest's attitude immediately changed, and he let out a hearty laugh. "By God man, of course you can bury your dog here! Why didn't you tell me the dog was Catholic!"





1 comment:

Sanctifying Grace said...

There is a joke that is sort of like that. Although, it is a "R" and maybe even a "X" rated joke. It you promise not to tell my superiors, I will pass it onto you. Here it is:

----

A man was standing outside of a church trying to get someone of authority's attention. A woman came to the door and asked him what it was that the man needed. The man replied, "I want to join this G.dam church, what do I need to do?"

The woman was taken aback. She asked the man to repeat his request again. The man stated, "Yeah, I want to join this F'in church. What the F' do I have to do to F'in join it?"

The woman was beside herself. She chastised the man for using such language. The man said, "Shut the F' up! Get me a priest or pastor that I can F'in talk to. Because I seem to be getting nowhere with you."

So the woman ran to get the priest to talk to this man. The priest met the man and asked, "What seems to be the problem here?"

The man said, "Yeah, I want to join this F'in church and make a $500,000.00 dollar donation, but this F'in witch keeps giving me the F'in run around."

The priest grew anrgy and replied, "Show me which F'in witch was giving you a problem!"

Peace, ~~Alex