Sunday, June 7, 2009

We have new fish!

Well, some fish, and lots of crabs.

That really sounds bad, doesn't it?

Yesterday we had lunch at Buca Di Beppo in Reading. I reserved the Kitchen Table for my sweetheart for her Birthday dinner. These are the things a good husband will do to ensure tranquility in the home.

Afterwards we ran several errands, including a visit to the Berkshire mall, but on the way home we had one final stop.

The Nursery with the really smart fish guy.

He sold us two Gobis (Now named "Go" and "Bee") a shrimp (Mr. Shy) and ten very small hemit crabs. (No names, yet)

I might get around to posting pictures eventually, but since Cranky the crab died, I'm not pushing my luck.

2 comments:

Monkey Momma said...

Oh hermit crabs...man...I just killed my kids' fourth hermit crab and I am praying they don't ask for a 5th. At this point, I'm feeling like the Charles Manson of petlife, since it's quite clear that anything requiring a terrarium or bowl for survival cannot live with the monkeys.

Actually, I'm not sure I killed the first 3 crabs. It turns out, the pile of what looks like dead hermit crab is really just their old skin! Sloughed off! Any idiot would know that, but I'm not just any idiot. I thought the sloughed off crab skin was a DEAD CRAB. Of course, I dumped all the evidence of my crab killings into the trash. So...somewhere, there is a landfill with a (probably very happy) hermit crab or two or three. Yes, it took 3 crabs to teach me that they are not really dead, just new and improved.

When the fourth crab "died," I procrastinated throwing out his remains, so imagine me and my kids' surprise when I found him happily crabbing around his box the next day! It was like Easter here - everyone was thrilled. Until he died a week later of unknown causes. He probably just wanted to go to the dump.

Good luck with your crabs!!! I'm sure you'll do better than I ever did. I guess I'd just better stick to housing K9s as pets, since anything less intelligent cannot possibly live thru my animal ineptitude.

Chris Casey said...

M Mom-

Mr Shy the Shrimp is a "carrion" creature, who likes to eat all the dead things. We found him under a rock snacking on a dead snail, so we are leaving him alone. The hermit crabs are very small, like you could fit five on a quarter. They are prancing all over the rocks. The Fish guy said Gobis do better if purchased as a pair, and they are cool. They seem to be practicing a constant synchronized swimming routine, and the Blue Damsel, who is usually pretty agressive, seems scared of them.
Thanks for the good luck wishes.
We have three female cocker spaniels, and they watch the fish tank at times. I wonder if they find it calming?
I wonder if it would work on other bloggers? LOL!