Sunday, April 19, 2009

Gym Nastiness, or why I don't care for fat hairy naked butts in my face.

I like my gym. I go there several times a week to help work out my stress.

But it has some really good, no nonsense rules.

Rules like, "Please turn off all cell phones in the locker room."

Now with a rule like that, you would think that common sense would dictate that if you are there to work out, you would put your phone in your locker, right?

Today after swimming my laps in the pool, I headed over to the much warmer therapy pool for 5 to ten minutes of relaxing "cool down." (BTW, one of the little feats I can now do is swim from one end of the pool to the other without coming up for air. it's a 25m pool, and that's no easy feat for a 5'10", 240 pound guy.)

Anyway, there's a guy in the pool, talking on his cell phone very loudly. Somebody really pissed him off in some kind of deal. seeing it was Sunday, he must be a very important person to need to have his phone while sitting on the edge of the pool.
I see this guy at the gym a lot. I never see him on any equipment, but I always see him on the phone, even in the locker room, where it is supposedly verboten. Must have a special membership, I guess.

My other pet peeve about people ignoring rules is the rule that you must wear swimwear to use the spa facilities. It is on your contract, and there are big signs at the doors to the jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna respectively. Yet I open the door to the Sauna, and there is a guy, laying on the wooden bench, all spread out, au natural. that's right, his fat hairy ass butt cheeks were pressed against the wooden bench slats in the sauna.

This is why I always put a towel down before I sit anywhere, even in my bathing suit, because of inconsiderate pigs like these. So there's my Sunday rant for this week. I feel better now, and have to get back to work on my book, or the Grammar Yoda will be after me for slacking off.
see you later in the week!

5 comments:

Skye said...

I saw the title of this post over at The Junk Drawer, and just had to come by to read it.

What you've written here is exactly and precisely why I don't do the gym thing. Too many people have told me things like this about gyms, and way back before I ever had kids, I had been a member of a gym. They had pretty much the same rules and it seemed no one obeyed them. The one rule that I really wished people would obey was to clean the equipment up after you use it. There's nothing worse than grabbing onto something still slick and slimy with someone elses sweat. I quit going, and have never gone back. Now I just do my own workout in my home, and during the summer go to the beach and swim across the lake.

Charlene said...

I also found your post through The Junk Drawer.

Thanks for sharing that. I loved that story! I have similar stories to that involving old ladies and locker rooms. *shudder*

Thanks, again!

Anonymous said...

I think the "you must wear swimwear" rule is non-negotiable (end of conversation). All I can say is ewwwwww.

Small Town Mommy said...

Sorry, I posted in the wrong account. The last comment was Small Town Mommy.

Chris Casey said...

Thank you all for your comments!
Between the full time job, and the book project, I had to put the blog aside this week.

Skye, I give my gym credit, about once a month on Sinday they close the Sauna/Spa/jacuzzi and drain and clean them. I don't mind that inconvenience at all, seeing as they are cleaning it.

Charlene, I asked the staff about what their biggest complaint is, and I found out women shaving their legs in the jacuzzi was a problem! I wouldn't have thought of that!

Anna/Small Town Mommy, Mrs C agrees with you and me on that one. She has worked for the local Hospital almost 30 years and is very focused on hygiene and cleanliness.

P.S. kathy at the Junk Drawer is the Best, good neighbor, great blogger, and brilliant IT person!