Thursday, August 21, 2008

There Will Be Blood.....NOT!!!!!!!!

(This is a somewhat Serious Post, but worthy of discussion, so I'm cross posting it from my more serious blog)

I was giddy with anticipation as I entered the newly christened Kasych Pavilion at Lehigh Valley Hospital, intent on performing my civic duty, donating blood, and perhaps, just perhaps, saving someones life.

I checked in, and no sooner took a seat before my name was called to go in the back for screening. A very nice young woman screened me. She checked my Driver's license, (you gotta have a photo I.D.!) then pricked my index finger on my left hand. My blood was red! That's good, it appeared I am human, despite some doubts from frequent readers of my blog.
She checked my blood pressure, (112 over 70) then my resting pulse (60), I'm in pretty good shape for a 46 year old, 225+ pound guy.

Then the questions started. All the HIV and blood contaminant ones, trying to see if you are at risk for anything that would make your blood dangerous for others to get.

I agree with this process, for the most part. I was going along with it , because I feel the end result, helping to save lives, is worth it.

Then the Question came that brought the whole adventure to a screeching halt.
"Have you served in the United States Armed Forces in the years between 1980 and 1996, and during that time were you stationed in Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, or other countries for more than a 6 month period?"

My answer was yes. I was stationed at Darmstadt, Federal Republic of Germany, for most of my Army enlistment. The years were 1983, 84, 85, and 86. Now I had no clue this was a problem. I have given blood before, but it has been at least 5 years since I last gave. I've had surgical procedures and been tested God knows how many times, and NEVER tested positive for anything that would bar me from giving blood.

But things have changed. I was informed that under their newer protocols, I am not eligible to give Blood. I was very disappointed, and I made it clear to the staff how I felt. But I also told them that I understood that they were doing their jobs.
I wish I had known about this new protocol sooner, I rearranged my schedule to give blood, and this pretty much wasted several hours of my time. I've shared this with my vet friends, a couple of whom were planning to donate.

This troubles me. What is to stop people from not admitting, as I did, that they served overseas? I'm also bothered that several million formal military personnel are being excluded from giving blood to protect from contamination by a few. Are you telling me they can't test my blood, and see I'm not HIV infectious? This is a serious issue, and I'm looking forward to reader's thoughts on it.

No comments: