Wednesday, July 30, 2008

So I went to the Mens Wearhouse to buy a suit....

Before we begin, please note that I am colorblind. I think my new suit is either brown or gray. I think the shirt and tie are sort of blue, but don't hold me to that.
The last time I was fitted for a suit jacket was February of 2006 after I had my right hip replaced. I was around 330 pounds (or more) at the time.
I'm at 232 now, so you can guess that nothing I own dress clothes wise looks good on me.

Last night as the tailor at Men's Wearhouse was putting my suit together, it became readily apparent that I look good. I let Mrs C pick out the color coordination, because I have no clue. If the U.S. goddamn Army hadn't issued me a standard military green dress uniform way back in the early 1980's, I probably would have fouled that all up.

we started out by trying on about 478 different jackets, trying to find just the right fit for my wide shoulders, broad chest, and slim waist. Thank god we nailed the pleated pants on the first try. I wasn't trying on that many pants.

I don't get the whole matching socks/slacks/belt/shoes/jacket/shirt/tie thing, I mean, come on, why do the socks and belt have to be coordinated? At least I'm wearing them, isn't that enough? What's next, color coordinating my undies?
I don't thinks so!
Anyway, I'm going to a Cousin's wedding in a few weeks, and many of these people aren't going to recognize me. For some of them, it has probably been 20 years or more, almost thirty, they haven't seen me since before I joined the Army after Reagan was elected. (yeah, it's been that long)

I have to give some props to the salesman at the clothing store, his name was Chris, like mine, and he knew his stuff. When we walked in the door they only had one other customer, so I received much needed, and appreciated, attention. I don't know if there might have been a case of "queer Eye" going on, but I really needed it, and this team that was looking after me was good.

There was this older, gray haired woman there who assisted in compiling different color coordinated shirts and ties to go with my custom jacket and slacks, and she knew her stuff, giving Mrs C several options to choose from. They laid everything out on a table along with the jacket and pants, and we could see how it all would supposedly go together. I'm comfortable saying that I liked all 6,498 possible combinations they offered, and what we, (well, Mrs C) eventually chose.

If I had gone by myself, I'd have picked the first thing offered that fit.
That's how I shop. I know I railed about the shopping habits of some women in a previous post, but at this point, I will admit that I might have been in error.
There are times when a man needs that women's perspective, and for me, this was one of them.

So how much did it cost? Oh, let's not talk about money! It's a one time purchase right? yeah, I needed it! It was worth it!

I going to have to repeat that mantra a lot for a while. maybe I will start to believe it.

Okay, I survived my terrifying trip to the men's Store to get a suit. It wasn't all that scary. Taking my wife to dinner at Dead Lobster afterwards, now that was scary. I'll tell you about that next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please note READERs, he just asked me if he would be able to buy dress shoes at the Men's Warehouse!!! Not my idea (although I am thrilled to say the least.) Maybe the next blog posting will be mine.