Friday, July 25, 2008

The First Butterfly of the Summer at our House



We have a Butterfly Bush planted at the Corner of our garage, and as I was returning home from work today, I spotted this beauty feeding from it. it's the first I have seen this summer. We have two other bushes much closer to the swamp out back from which I believe they come, but it came to the street side of the property, attracted by the many colorful blooms. Mrs. C could probably sit on her new hammock and take pictures of them coming and going all day if the timing was right.

I'm not big on using a net to capture butterflies, then pinning them to a piece of wood and mounting them somewhere. I think that is just plain cruel. How would we humans feel if another species did that to us? now there's a future Tales of Terror, don't you think?



Something that really amazed me as I took this was that as I was standing there it was exceptionally windy, yet the beautiful little thing hung on, gathering the precious nectar with all its might.



I took this picture with my camera less than a foot away, as the wind was gusting. It flitted to another branch in the wind, and continued gathering nectar. By the time I let the dogs out, you would have thought it finished, but it was still there. It flitted away, with crazy Sally Dog in pursuit of it, the butterfly oblivious to her barking and yapping at it. It was out of the yard, over the railroad and into the Swamp before I could get another picture of it. I hope I see more of them this weekend, I will be ready with the camera if I do. Anybody know what kind of Butterfly it is? I know what a Monarch is, They are mostly Orange and I see many of those each year, but this one I am unfamiliar with. Leave a comment if you know!

No comments: