Saturday, May 23, 2009

R.I.P. Cranky the Crab

My Crab died.

He was an eight legged salt water crab that looked a lot like a daddy long legs Spider, except he lived in our tank with 5 different fish and assorted snails and other crabs.
Everybody seems to get along okay, but the one old clown Fish, paint picks on all the smaller fish at times. Cranky he stayed away from. Probably thought he was Andy Rooney or some other mean old curmudgeon.

Cranky did sort of remind me of Mr Crabs from Sponge Bob square pants. I bought special crab treats for him, and when I fed the fish, I always dropped a few granules by him so the fish wouldn't eat them before he could get to them. I liked how he ambled out from the rocks, speared them with a leg, and then jammed them in his face.
Wednesday he was fine when I fed him, but Thursday night he was curled in the corner, and looked like he had algae on his legs. He moved when I prodded him, but I was worried. I was going to ask my fish guy about him on Friday, but never got the chance. When I came home from work yesterday, he was in the corner, upside down, all eight of his legs sticking up in the air. His head had turned white.
I gave him a burial at sea under the big white porcelain monument. FLUSH
Fish guy said he was probably a goner and already dying Thursday, and gave me suggestions Saturday on how to prevent further fatalities. I just finished doing all that.

Everybody else is fine, but I miss Cranky. So I'm going to replace him, but this time I will get two crabs. I'll name them Bernie and Bill. They will probably fight all the time and start blogs, but that will keep it interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there are already crabby blogs! My sympathies on your loss.

Bernie O'Hare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.