Monday, October 13, 2008

"Don't hit your sister with the flaming pumpkin again, or I'll ground you!"

It was a beautiful day, and I was out around 3:30 trimming back some of the overgrown bushes along the walkway when I heard one of the Neighborhood Mom's loudly give that warning. I thought my ears were deceiving me, but it was followed up with, "I mean it, don't hit her with the flaming pumpkin. you know that's not nice."

I'm not a nosy neighbor. I pretty much ignore all the screams from the neighborhood kids as they play, and there were plenty of power tools echoing in the 'hood yesterday. I can tell between a scream of real pain, and one of real agony. With all the Chain saws, weed whackers, leaf Blowers, and Mowers running yesterday, I think it was surprising to me that there was enough of a lull that I heard a neighborhood Mom make that threat.

I was tempted to put down the clippers and walk a few doors down and see the flaming pumpkin that was being used by one child to bludgeon another sibling. I really wanted to ask, is it okay if she is hit with a non flaming pumpkin? Is that an offense that doesn't get a child grounded?

This afternoon was the kind of Fall day that a child remembers forever. Not too hot, not too cold, and plenty of leaves to jump in. The Jack 'o lanterns are freshly carved, newly lit, and the sweet smell of burning leaves is rising into the air, a sure sign of the season, a harbinger of the Holidays to come.
How can you ever forget the day you were grounded for hitting your sister with a Flaming pumpkin? I know I wouldn't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAhahaha!

I would have wanted a photo of the child hitting her sibling with the flaming pumpkin!!