Sunday, February 21, 2010

Driving with Hot Flashes

Saturday morning I took my wife to lunch at a local place we frequent regularly. A large part of the regular clientele comes from nearby assisted living centers.

We were sitting in a booth at a window when two women who were both on the far side of 80 years of age came in. One using a walker, the other using a cane. They were seated in the booth behind us.

Neither had a hearing aid. Which precipitated my wife and I being privy to every word they spoke.

  The truly terrifying part of what we heard was that the lady using the walker, who also wore big thick black sunglasses INSIDE the diner, was the one who DROVE them there.

Walker Lady: "I'm glad you could come today. I have trouble seeing the driveway."

Cane Lady: "I can see the driveway, I just can't turn my head to drive."

  Does that scare you? Wait, there's more.....

Cane Lady: "I have been so hot at night. I had to get up and turn on the air conditioning in my unit and stand in front of it. I can't believe I'm still gotting flasshes at my age."

Walker Lady: "I don't think we ever get over menopause."

   That's just what I needed to hear as I was eating my Tuna salad sandwhich and Crock of French Onion soup. We weren't the only ones who could hear this either. The Senior Couple on the other side of us started discussing the old ladies' problem.

   Wife: "She should see her Doctor."

  Husband: "What did you do about your hot flashes?"

  I almost spit soup on my wife. There are some things I just don't want to hear. We left very shortly after that.  There was a small white sedan parked sideways in a handicap spot outside, and partially blocking the driveway. Any bets on who it might have belonged to?

  All humor aside, I drove my parents everywhere they needed to go for about 6 years before they both passed away. I know how tough it is to restrict their freedom of movement to insure the safety of others around them. You have to weigh whether you want to risk getting a call that they had an accident and were killed or caused the death or injury of someone else over allowing them their freedom of movement.

  I don't envy anyone who faces that choice.

No comments: