Monday, February 15, 2010

As if we did not have enough Snow......


....there is more on the way.
Yesterday I spent more than two hours clearing the ice and snow out of all my rain gutters. I also cleared all the snow I could away from the foundation of my house.
This is some friendly advice and a reminder to many of my friends that you need to give the water someplace to go once the snow starts melting, unless you want the water in your basement. Even worse, uncleared gutters could cause Ice jams that lift up shingles and allow water to penetrate within the walls of your house.
I cleared my deck as well, because I don't want that water pooling near my foundation either. The cycle of thawing and freezing by water around a house may not cause immediate damage, but the cumulative effects over many years can add up. It may not be an issue today, but five or ten years down the road, it might. One more thing, I cleared the snow off of and from around our Air Conditioning Unit. Even if it has a protective cover, you should keep it cleared of snow. That's Casey's helpful hints for today. Keep Your Snow Shovel Handy, it is coming again!

No comments: