Monday, October 12, 2009

Skippy the Skunk visits Trexlertown


Last night about 7:30 I was sitting on my porch enjoying a cold Coors light with all three dogs, when I heard an animal scream. I think it was a cat, and it came from the swampy area behind our home. Then a powerful and unmistakable odor reached my nose. The two older dogs rose and headed to go into the house. But Crazy Sally, our Cocker/Springer mix, bounded off the porch to investigate. I jumped out of my chair and grabbed her, carrying her back into the house.
It is that time of year, when the natural wildlife gets more active. There were rabid skunks caught this year in nearby communities, and even though our girls are all licensed and up to date on shots, I am taking no chances. I am sure the foxes will be making their presence known soon, and there will be the mandatory bathing of a certain dog who loves to roll in deer scat.
Last year we had a Bear on Lower Mountain road over at the Maxatawny/Lower Macungie Township border. I hope we never get one around here. God knows what the dogs would do, but I have no doubt they would roll in the Bear poop. Now that I am not looking forward to.

No comments: