Tuesday, October 13, 2009

For an aspiring writer, reality sets in, and that is okay

Today I received something I have been expecting for quite awhile.

A rejection of my novel from an agent. I was not sold on the hype I was receiving from the person editing my manuscript. I had sold the agent on the concept, and she wrote me that she enjoyed my work after reading the manuscript over three days. She offered a candid critique, and some suggestions, but she also explained she felt the market wasn't ready for my topic at this time.

I am not going to be surprised if I get more of the same in the coming weeks. I am proud that I put the work out and finished what I did, but I have no delusions about what writing a novel for publication entails. I am going to keep writing stories because I enjoy doing it.

I am disappointed, but I am also relieved. Life goes on.

4 comments:

michael molovinsky said...

congrats on having made the effort, that's as you said the hard part, and the only part you have control over

Chris Casey said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement MM. As they say, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Anne said...

You are having such a great attitude about this. You will find satisfaction as long as you are writing for yourself.

monkey momma said...

How many publishing houses turned down Harry Potter? (NINE.)

This is a VERY difficult time to get published. Don't take it personally, and submit the manuscript elsewhere. You're lucky the first publisher offered critique instead of a canned rejection. That's actually pretty rare, and very encouraging.