Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Three Pigs in a Blanket? No, Three Dogs on a bed


Wow, what a beautiful Monday evening. Around seven o'clock I spent about twenty minutes sitting out on my front porch watching the dogs amuse themselves chasing birds, squirrels, chipmunks, and anything else that dared trespass into our yard. Now they are tired, and I am sitting at the kitchen table writing on my laptop. That is where I took this picture.

I am outlining the story of my childhood buddy, Rags the dog, and trying to figure out where to start the story. The day we brought Rags home, or the day we left his predecessor, a dog named Blackie, at the Vet, because someone had fed Blackie ground meet with glass and he died in surgery.

People are cruel to one another, but not dogs. they establish their territories, and then they abide by them.

Dogs have the right idea. Let's all just get along.



7 comments:

Where Books Begin said...

Perhaps one of the things a dog, in his role as man's best friend, can do is to teach us a saner way to live. I was comparing life in Allentown with another ex-New Yorker who now makes his home in Santa Fe. We yucked it up over all the similarities: the reluctance to speak up, the love of beer, the deep attachment to the automobile, the view of shopping as a hobby not a necessity, etc. The big difference is that here in PA people try to do their best by their animals, whereas in the west, animal cruelty is rampant.
You are a good example of the PA approach to dogs, and an upstanding example as well.

Volvo Driving Soccer Mom said...

Nice Picture. Our kids could learn a few things from dogs, even if we don't.

Cindy Specht said...

It was nice last night in the city, we took the kids for a walk by the West end band shell. What kind of dogs are those? Do you write books about dogs?

Chris Casey said...

Books-
Thank you for the compliment. I think that animal cruelty is more prevalent in the south, where many states allowed dogfighting for much of early American History.

Volvo, I know you once considered leashing your kids, so you make me laugh!

Cindy - They are Cocker Spaniels, and the book I have been working on is about a dog, and two of three possible follow ups are as well. I get along with dogs better than people. Likely because they don't care if I act like an idiot!

Anne said...

How awful! I can't believe someone would do that to Blackie. Sometimes I just don't understand people.

Chris Casey said...

We believed a neighbor did it because he barked at them all the time. I remember it mostly because it happened right before Christmas in 1970, the week after my birthday. My Mom purchased Rags the dog right after the New Years, when my sister was eight months pregnant.

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can reveal that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is quiet a definitely as you did in the fall publication of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=zeallsoft fun morph pro 6.81 ?
I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you functioning the dark methods of promotion of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg