Saturday, September 12, 2009

Come Saturday morning, the summer has ended.

It is a simple pleasure of life for me, sitting at the kitchen table on a Saturday morning. three dogs curled up on an over sized bed at my feet, while I read the news online and enjoy my omelet and coffee.

According to the calendar, summer does not end for at least another week, but the silence that hangs down from the gray skies this morning says that is over.

Pumpkins are already starting to appear on doorsteps around the neighborhood, and the leaves, sparse and few on the ground just days ago, are beginning to make their presence notable as the wind deposits them on my deck and porch.

There is work to be done yard wise. For the next couple of months it will be leaf raking, but then comes the heavier chore, snow shoveling.

The dogs, sleeping at my feet for now, will bounce around as I attempt to gather leaves, scattering them as I try and corral the mess to the curb for the Township pick up crew.

They will also frolic in the snow, and afford me more work, as I will have to towel off all three of them before allowing them back in the house.

Summer has ended, but the work is never done. and that makes me glad.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I saw pumpkins the other day at the grocery store and I couldn't believe it. It seems like it was just heatwave weather. On another note, who are the two Trolls? I went to school in the Lehigh Valley and am always interested in news from there.