Monday, September 28, 2009

Goodbye RCN

Today after work, I made what I hope will be my last visit to RCN's office on Avenue C in Bethlehem PA.

I took the one dysfunctional converter box that I had and turned it on. We now have Direct TV, the 150 channel package at 34.99 a month, plus 3 additional converter boxes at $5 bucks a piece. My bill for Television will be $49.99 a month for one year, and then goes up to a total of $69.99 a month for the second year of the two year contract. We made out with substantial savings over what we were paying RCN for the same product, and all 4 TV's now have all the same channels.

Here is what was eye opening about my visit to RCN.

I was not the only dissatisfied customer. I waited in a line of more than thirty people to turn my box in at 4PM, and there were even more there when I left.

While standing in line, I heard several stories of the horror of dealing with RCN, many that I could commiserate with.

What it boiled down to was horrible customer service, and greed on RCN's part. I know I was not the only one fed up with trying to navigate their automated phone system. After wading through it, you were likely directed to a tech located somewhere in South east Asia for whom English was a second language.

RCN claims they did this whole upgrade thing to better serve the customer. I have no doubt they did it to better serve their profits.
Can you imagine how bad their Internet and phone service must be? Thank God for Verizon DSL.

I saw the U-tube video of the comcast tech sleeping on a customer's couch the other day, right after I saw a commercial for Comcast touting its superior service.
Maybe RCN was trying to catch up with them.

By the looks of the line of dissatisfied customers at the office in Bethlehem, I would say they are not that far behind.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I hate cable but we can't get Direct TV where we live (too many trees). Enjoy your direct TV, and know that I will be jealous of you and Mrs. C.

Anonymous said...

We're longtime DTV customers, and we love it. The only time we lose our DirectTV service is during snowstorms and heavy thunderstorms. So, keep some DVDs onhand for snow days!