Saturday, July 18, 2009

Guys! Manners matter to women!

I like to think of myself as a regular guy. When I was a kid, my Dad taught me many things. One thing he taught me that I still do to this day is to hold the door for a lady, or when approaching an automatic door, to step aside and always let a lady or ladies go first.

It makes me crazy these days, to see that most men have forgotten this social grace.

I find it ironic that I hear from younger men about their troubles in finding women, and getting women to give them a chance. I hear these stories of woe at work and at my gym especially.

So I am going to offer a bit of advice to you guys, seeing as tonight is Saturday night, and some of you have dates.
When you are going to the restaurant or theater, hold the door for her. When you are walking her to your car, get the door for her. I have been married since 1996, and I still do it for my wife. So I also want to stress that it needs to become a habit. Don't do it just to win the lady, do it to keep her, and should you have a future, do like my Dad and teach your sons to do it as well.

Guys, I also want to stress that you just don't do it for the object of your affection, you should do it for all women, no matter their age, physical attributes whatever.

Do it for the eighty year old lady, or the Mom struggling to push a stroller. Why, you ask?

Because other women will see you do that. They will see you performing that small act of kindness, and they will think, "Hey, what a nice guy."

I want you to think of it like creating a resume for women to read. When you are trying to get the job you want, you always put your best foot forward and try to broaden your skill set.
So why not do that when trying to find a quality lady?

Women want a guy who respects them. Grand gestures do make a big splash, but can be undone by one act of stupidity. Constant visible acts of kindness, such as holding a door, mean more in the long run. It says to the ladies that you know how to behave, and how to treat them right. You might still have some rough edges, but they will see potential, and that is important.

Okay, that is my tip/gripe for today. I am thinking that every Saturday I should offer my take on manners for guys. Maybe next week I will espouse on why I hate guys who blow their nose in their hand and wipe it on their pants., yeah, like I want to shake your hand.

3 comments:

Josh Kopp said...

This post reminds me of my childhood when my mom made me read "The Book of Manners." Not only did it teach me to hold doors, but also to stand when a lady enters/leaves. I never could understand that last one...hahahaa.

Anne said...

Many of the social graces have disappeared. I think part of it may be because my generations wasn't taught many of these things so didn't know it to teach their children.

Anonymous said...

On behalf of women everywhere -- thank you!