Monday, April 19, 2010

Great moments in Lawn Mowing History: my first (and hopefully last) Riding mower.

I had an early Morning Breakfast with some Friends Saturday, but I got home in time to take a very important call from LOWES. About 8:45 AM the phone rang. "Mr Casey, Your delivery window is 10 AM to 1 PM."
  Oh yeah, it has been 6 long years of pushing the lawn mower around, but now I have a riding mower, thanks to the love and generosity of Mrs C.  Kathy Frederick at the Junk Drawer Blog might love her new Dyson Vacuum cleaner, but there are no words to describe how I feel about my Bolens model 762 Lawn tractor.


  
   Here she is, before I backed her into the garage and her personal parking spot. After they delivered her, and before I took her out for her first spin, I sat in the kitchen and carefully read over the operating instructions. I want her to last a long time, and I want to take care of her. (Don't worry, I do feel much the same way about Mrs. C) So it is vitally important that I know how to operate her properly and maintain her in tip top shape. I checked the oil, the battery cables, and gave her a good look over before I added fuel to the gas tank. It warmed my heart that she fired up on the first try. She even has a large bright headlight for mowing as it gets dark.
She has a great safety feature in that she will not run in reverse if the power transfer to the blades is engaged. I had a blast mowing my yard..... and a neighbors..... and then maybe another neighbors, I hope they didn't mind. But she has one feature that is the most wonderful of all, the kind a real man loves. My lawn mower has.........
A Cup Holder!
Is that not the greatest idea in Riding Lawn mower history? I loved mowing my lawn so much on Saturday that when my wife pointed out I had missed a spot I had to mow the whole thing again on Sunday.
Eat your heart out Kathy Frederick!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

I have to admit, I salivated a little bit about your mower. I, too, want one of those. Until that day, all my "mowing" will be indoors on my carpet.

So does "she" have a name?

Chris Casey said...

Yep. I call her Bonnie Bolens. I am a sick man!

Capt Doug said...

A large 'headache'? for night mowing -- I hope not.

Anne said...

That beats the heck out of a Dyson. Maybe if you could ride a Dyson there might be some type of competition.

If I lived closer, I would definitely invite you to come mow my lawn too :).

Makayla said...

Sometimes people get very frustrated by pushing the lawn mower around while lawn mowing. The lawn tractor that you have will really help to make lawn mowing a fun task. you can finish your chores and have a fun time at the same time.

Anonymous said...

A cup holder?

I am very jealous!

I rode Gravely 'horses' for years growing up working in a cemetery.

Big, wide deck out front, three blades underneath.

Watch out for the monuments, people's flowers and veterans' flags!

A cup holder?

THIS should be regulated!

:)

RO

Anonymous said...

We absolutely understand your delight with this new lawn mower, something you saved years to get. That's how we felt when we finally got a new computer. But you need to get a soft fabric cover for her at night. Don't laugh! Moisture is a metal killer.
Cover ber up -- keep the dirt and dust away -- especially from that (beer)opps cup holder. Now what about one of those little VW Bug
vases? Congrats.

Gomez said...

I get it. I love my mower.

I have a friend who just bought a hula bobble doll to put on his. Cracks me up.

Unknown said...

How is Bonnie holding up? I just ran my last leaf pick-up of the year with my '07 Bolens. It was sad to wash it off in the driveway before parking it for the season in my garage. If you haven't gotten a bagger and some mulching blades, you haven't maxed her capabilities out yet. Highly recommended.