Friday, September 3, 2010

My name is (Tropical Storm) Earl and I'm passing Cape May Point


Greetings from Cape May Point New Jersey. I drove down Thursday and spent the day preparing for the worst. At Sunset I rode my bike down to Stites beach, on the Delaware bay side, and digitally shot the 4 minute Sunset, which was spectacular. This morning at dawn I rode over to the lighthouse and taped the surf pounding in from the Atlantic side by the old Army Bunker.
   I tried to upload those files to blogger but they keep failing, so here's a picture of the crazy surf along the jetty last night.

    Power has flickered a couple of times in the last hour because of the gusty winds. It was weird, because I got up at 6 AM and went out and the air was very still. To use an old cliche', "the calm before the storm." I got coffee at Mc D's this AM and checked my email and the news forecast.
       The weather wonders say the worst will come this evening. I can't get internet on the point, so I have to drive across the causeway to North Cape May and use the Wireless in the MicDonald's here. For a Labor Day weekend the place is pretty much empty. This is what it looks like offseason in November when we come down.  Even the parking Lot at the Acme behind us is maybe a third full, and that is mostly local employees. Rental turnovers usually take place Saturday at noon, but many people left last night. We have had a few rain squalls, but nothing major.
    I have fully charged up the digital camera and borrowed Flip cam, I will be out first thing in the AM after the storm passes to see what the waves did to the beach I was down there last around 10:30 and there were two life guards and one lady in a chair watching the waves roll in. If I could load a U-tube video, I would put up Otis Redding's "sitting on the Dock of the Bay."

    Catch you guys later.

3 comments:

LVCI said...

Uploading videos to blogger doesn't work anymore no matter what it says.

I gave up a while ago after trying 3 different speeds, then 3 different formats. It will appear to upload (less speed then an old 56k modem). Then fail each and everytime. That's why YouTube, even though both owned by Google. I figure since they bought YouTube a while ago they killed the blog uploader.

We used to go down twice a summer, but haven't been down for the last 3 years.

I can see it now... If that supply fortress (in the water by the lighthouse) were in Allentown they probably would have put a restaurant on top of it by now.

The bird sanctuary would be a playground/skateboard park. The Sunset Beach concrete ship declared a nuisance and have it towed out and sunk. The lighthouse turned into a cell tower and Lord help the summer rental landlords.

And no doubt, Pennsylvania would have put a toll booth on the road to the Cape-Lewes Ferry.

Capt RD said...

Thanks for all the help at the beach houses and info - Earl was here in St. Thomas VI on Monday - very windy with lots of tree and infrastructure damage. let us all know how the beach fared.

Chris Casey said...

Glenn-
I guess I will have to post the video to U-Tube and then export it, that seems to be the only way.
I think the quality of wireless at Mickey D's may have had something to do with it

Capt RD-

Friday afternoon the surf was so high you couldn't see the Jetty's at all.
We had a great crowd for the pancake breakfast saturday Morning. I finished cleaning up most of the tree damage from over the winter Saturday afternoon, then we found more on the East side of 306 that I will tackle next time I'm down.