Friday, June 18, 2010

Does my dog Lucy have a "Bucket List?" She does now!

   Everytime I log onto the social networking site of Facebook, I am greeted with an advertisement for the "Allentown Bucket List." even though I live in Trexlertown. Last weekend, while I was visiting Brown University in Providence Rhode Island, when I logged on I was entreated with a "Providence Bucket List."
    I found it fascinating how that changed by location, I know why, but that is for another blog entry on another day.

     What's bothering me today is that Lucy, my little Black shadow of a Cocker Spaniel, appears to be nearing the end of her life. She will be 14 in October, or about Betty White's age in human years. Dogs can't tell us directly if they are suffering, but her tail constantly wags and she still has moments where she will grab her toy and want me to play with her.
    But the seizures are becoming more frequent. I pick her up and hold her until they pass, and then she acts as if nothing happened, before she lays down and sleeps for awhile.

   I know what's coming, but in the meantime, I have made a Bucket List for her:
       1. Let her sleep on the end of the Bed

       2. Let her ride in the car with me to the bank, so she can get the free dog treat from the Window teller.

       3. Stop at McDonalds/Burger King/Wendys and get her a plain Hamburger on each ride. It's not like it will kill her, right?

       4. She doesn't leave the yard as long as I am in it (Never has, really), so I took off her Invisible fence collar so she doesn't get zapped unnecessarily. I figure at her age, she probably has enough pain, why give her more?

       5. Make sure that her bed is within arms reach of me when I am working on the Computer. Lucy is truly my shadow, she follows me everywhere when I am home, and lays as close to me as possible. We recently purchased a separate, extra dog bed that is next to my chair so I can reach down and scratch her head when I am working. She laid there anyway, so we figured she might as well be comfortable.

     I don't know what five things Lucy would want to do before she goes to the great puppy playtime in heaven, but these are the five I have to offer. Any Suggestions? What would you do for your "Shadow?"

      

2 comments:

monkey momma said...

The great thing about dogs is that their bucket list, should they compose one themselves, would simply list their normal routines with their favorite humans. What Lucy wants more than anything is to "just act like nothing happened" and to go on with her normal day to day routine with you and Mrs C! You don't have to do anything special to make your dog feel special - you just have to be you.

The monkey family was crushed when our pit bull mix (emphasis on the mix, as she was not really a pit) had to be put down a year and a half ago. That dog was with me for 14 years, for my whole marraige - my whole marraige so far, that is. Our K9 simply liked to lay on the floor by the couch at night while hubby and I watched tv. I know that was her favorite thing ever. That, and pig ears. I guess pig ears were on her bucket list, too. And she liked to sit on my feet while I sat at my desk. I miss her head on my foot right now!

Now the monkey family has brought home two insane labradoodles puppies. The monkey kids are THRILLED, and I am warming up to the furballs that have invaded my house. What amazes me the most about these puppies is the response they get from everyone - every single neighbor and friend has turned into a puddle of lovey dovey snuggles immediately upon meeting these wild new children of mine, even my mean friends. (We all have a few of those, right?) It is truly a miracle that mankind has befriended K9s, and no one is immune to their charms. And the best part is, humans need to just be themselves - dogs love us just the way we already are.

Just keep "feeling the love" for Lucy, and she will know she already found her heaven with you. Of course, the greatest act of love you will do for Lucy will come at the end, which I know you've been thru before with other beloved dogs. It is our great gift to animals to end their misery when it gets to be too much. Until then, just act like nothing's happening and enjoy the moment. Good luck!

Anne said...

It sounds like her bucket list is perfect for her! My dog is sleeping at the end of the bed even now so I know she will enjoy it (although he does enjoy sleeping at the top with his head on the pillow too). Our dog has seizures and it is frustrating that there is nothing you can do.