Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Endings, beginings, and whatever comes between


You know that saying about it is always darkest before the dawn? I hope dawn gets here soon.

So far this week, all but one of our fish died. I really don't know what happened to cause the heater to fail, but when I went into the family room early Sunday morning, our tropical tank was all fogged up, and the water temp had dropped to room temperature, 65 degrees. We had three floaters, and Bob the Algae Blennie died about four hours later. Only our Blue Damsel survived. As did all the crabs and snails. I guess they are more tolerant to the temperature drop than the fish were. As of tonight, our blue Damsel is actively swimming all over the place, looking for her friends. We think she is lonely.
I immediately started checking everything, and I reset the heater. Now the temperature is back where it belongs. I don't know if we had a power surge or what, but I am bummed. I found the fish soothing to look at when I was writing.

Sunday wasn't done with me with just the fish. I had to go to Redners for some vegetables, and when I came out, my right front tire was almost flat. I only live five minutes from Redners and sometimes I ride my bike there if I am only getting a couple of things. So I drove the car home the half mile on the back road, and changed the tire in my driveway. I rotated all of them while I was at it, and repaired the tire in my garage. The Army gave me many skills of which tire repair is one of them. I drove the 80 mile round trip to work today, and the tire held up, so I must have got that right.

But then I got home today, Monday, and opened my mailbox.

Two more rejection letters of my manuscript came.

This just further verifies for me what I originally believed, that a person acting as my editor was giving me B.S. Her interest only lay in eventually making money off me, whether I was published or not. I put a lot of heart and soul into that manuscript, and I didn't agree with some of the direction I was being urged to take.

I like to think the best of people and take them at their word, but I let this drag on too far. I haven't been this discouraged in a long time, but I will get over it. It isn't the result that makes life what it is, it is the journey we take along the way, and all the twists and turns that entails.
Just because you hit a dead end doesn't mean it is all over. I just have to back up, turn around and try another route, that's all.

So now I am working on a new query letter and assembling my own list of agents to approach.

Like the fish who ended up floating in the tank unexpectedly, I have to flush the past away and start anew. So off I go. Wish me luck?

7 comments:

monkey momma said...

Remember what I told you before - Harry Potter got rejected 9 times before Scholastic got it. Just keep at it and enjoy the ride.

My favorite writers are often depressed and at wit's end - I think this kind of emotional turmoil makes for better writing. And, it's not like you need youth to be a great writer. In fact, it's the opposite. So, there are no worries here. You are competing in a take-no-prisoners world in a Great Recession, when books are on the soon-to-be-extinct list. It's a difficult process, but one you should and must continue. GOOD LUCK.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris Casey said...

Monkey Momma, thank you for your encouragement. My dad always told me that if something is easy, everyone would do it.
I would rather be the last person to climb the mountain than to never try it at all.

As for our Anon coward, I respect his right to publish a blog that is nothing but hate filled rants against any who he deems unworthy. It is a crazy, hate filled view point, but it is his and his wife's, and they own it. more power to them.

At least I don't moderate comments to the point that I only allow "right Think."

Chris's Fish said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anne said...

Good luck with your query letter. Like monkey momma says, Harry Potter was rejected 9 times. That demonstrates that no one is a good judge of what will sell, you just need to find the right fit. Good luck with the search.

I am sorry about the fish. We had a carnivore in our tank who ate all his roommates until he was the only one.